Trials and Tribulations of a Backwards Knitter

I am a very begining knitter, just exploring the marvelous world of knitting. This knit blog was made so that I can record my progress as I hurl myself headlong into knitting. I live on a ranch in Oregon with four horses, three dogs, four cats, a miniature donkey, and temporarily five kittens and their mom. Oh, and I recently realized that I was a combination knitter... uh oh.

Friday, May 12, 2006

The Baby Blocks are Finally Finished!!!

I gave Chemistry Baby Blocks to my proffessor this morning and he liked them so much. I really hope his wife Anne Marie likes them too and I really hope the baby loves chemistry. I'm sad I didn't get pictures of the process of making them, but I really had no time.

So without further ado here they are:
here they are stacked.


here are the blocks scattered about, so you can see them a little more.






here is my favorite piece of embroidery, the chlorine and gold block.


So as I was seaming these at 3:30am, I told myself that I wouldn't do anything with so much seaming, finishing and so many colors in the near future, but the carosel horse pattern from Interweave is looking mighty fun. I could justify it to myself by telling myself that it would teach me new skills like short rows and felting. Maybe I could be super ambitious and make it a pinto, with intarsia spots. Ummm, or maybe I could keep my sanity. Anyway, I'm so proud of the baby blocks, and I think they turned out really well. That's all for now. Now I have to figure out what to knit next.

5 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Momo said...

That's a great project! Can't wait to see what else you'll knit. :)

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger JennyJennette said...

I love these! I have biologist in-laws and sciencey friends who would be pretty impressed if I knitted something similar. Do you have your pattern written down?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Kate B said...

These are amazing! As a fellow knitter and chemist/chemistry teacher, I can't wait to make a set myself! Did you intarsia the letters in, or did you use duplicate stitch?

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger elise said...

Cute baby blocks! It is actually pretty rare that I enjoy making baby items but working in the scientific research field I think these will be perfect. I have a friend who is due soon. Could you point me in the direction of a pattern?

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Elspeth said...

Oh my Gosh, people actually read my blog. I've forgotten about this blog for a long time, but in case anyone drops by, the letters are made with duplicate stitch, which is great for the knitter who loves instant gratification. That is in sharp contrast with the tons and tons of seaming required for this project.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home